Hearing bird dogs for the first time would make a person wonder about an exotic meal: a wild dog and a bird it hunted down. However, this famous sandwich of South Carolina is filled with juicy chicken tenders covered with a variety of topping like cheese, mustard, hot sauce, and the likes leaving your mouth wanting more. This meal is great for parties or casual hangouts, especially when a big game is about to start. So fire your pan up, and let's get cooking!
1 lb. chicken tenders
1 cup buttermilk
4 cups canola oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground mace
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp whole fennel seed
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp kosher salt
optional toppings: hot sauce, bacon, cheese, pickles, etc.
1. In a large bowl, submerge the chicken in buttermilk and refrigerate for 5-6 hours.
2. Remove chicken from buttermilk and season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, mix the flour and all the spices. Dredge all chicken tenders through the flour, shaking off the excess flour.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 375 F.
4. Cooking in batches, fry chicken for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
5. Place one chicken strip on a hot dog bun and top with preferred toppings.
6. Serve and Enjoy!
Save the recipe here.